FTA's Section 5311(b)(3) program funds RTAPs in each state, as well as the National RTAP.
The objectives of the Federal RTAP funding program are:
- to promote the safe and effective delivery of public transportation in rural areas and to make more efficient use of public and private resources;
- to foster the development of state and local capacity for addressing the training and technical assistance needs of the rural transportation community;
- to improve the quality of information and technical assistance available through the development of training, technology, and technical assistance resource materials;
- to facilitate peer-to-peer self-help through the development of local networks of transit professionals;
- to support the coordination of public, private, specialized, and human service transportation services; and,
- to build a national database on the rural segment of the public transportation industry.